Saturday, April 29, 2006

Plying adventures


This is another skein of self-striping yarn.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The colors are green, pink and lilac. The sections are very short, but after winding with a smaller radius the stripes show up:



I used Navajo plying, and even though I spun the singles with long color sections, the stripes are still short. I still have a problem figuring out how to measure each section while spinning. In addition to the length issue, I got slubs at the end of some of the ply loops. I think that can be fixed by overtwisting the singles before plying.

Other than these two issues, Navajo plying is a much easier way to obtain self striping yarn. And though a three ply yarn is thicker, it is also stronger. I wouldn't use it for socks, though. Those little loops would probably bother me.

I now have six skeins the winner can choose from. The contest is open until tomorrow.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

you are on fire!

Jennifer said...

Wow you are really cranking these out! It's fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...