Monday, April 24, 2006

A contest


I've been blogging for over two years in English and one year in Spanish, and I've never held a contest. So here it is: Send me your ideas about what can be knitted with my handspun yarn samples and whoever has the most useful or original idea will get the prettiest one. Here are my first two hanks:

    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us



These are very small samples, not even enough for mittens. I don't want to knit potholders (that's what I did with my first spinning attempts), so go ahead and suggest something. The yarn is very uneven, with varying thickness and occasional slubs. I'll be spinning more hanks this week and posting pictures here, so the winner can choose his/her favorite. Leave your suggestions in the comments or using the contact form until next Sunday, April 30. On Monday I will announce the winner.

By the way, the hank on the right was originally dyed green and purple, but the blue leeched out of both colors leaving yellow,  pink, and a little green. Because I really wanted some purple, I tried other things. I had used the conventional oven before. Why not use a toaster oven? I also added lots of vinegar and more or less got purple.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us



There was, however, a little chromatographic effect thanks to the wool acting as a wick. Pink gets absorbed faster than blue, so the roving had a pink hue on the outside and a  blue hue on the inside.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


I know the picture is terrible, but I hope it shows more or less how the outside (bottom) of the roving looks like compared to the inside (top). Interesting, no?

I have now a closetful of colors and I can't wait to spin them all.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Oh, and I while those batches were baking, I gave someone a haircut:



I saved a bagful of dog hair, you know, just in case I run out of wool to spin.Wink

3 comments:

Diane said...

The first lot of white yarn i dyed i made into a curly wurly scarf...and it was very similar colours to the one on the right of the top 2 pictures.It reminds me of sugared almonds..very pretty :0)

I'm hoping to clip Ted and Becks coats this week sometime, i won't be spinning it though, your just sooo clever :0)

Jennifer said...

What about knitting a little treasure bag? It could be a small knit in the round, with either a fold-over flap at the top, or a drawstring. You could store jewelry in there, or little mementos.

Sandra said...

If I were you I would crochet flowers and turn them into pins or keyholders.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...