Friday, April 14, 2006

Trapped by a sock

I'm now in love with Fixation.  I couldn't stop knitting.



But don't think that kept me from working on the baby cardigan. As much as I dislike this boucle stuff, I finished the back, joined the shoulders and added buttonbands and collar. I even picked up stitches for one of the sleeves, which will be knitted in the round using straight needles.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


I didn't invent this technique. Urraca had shared this link with me before, and recently I saw it again in MagKnits. In both cases, the tube is closed at the ends, but I'm guessing that can be modified to knit a regular tube. So yes, I'm anticipating a lot of suffering when it comes to decreasing and casting off. You'd think I know better than to experiment with boucle yarn but I sometimes like a challenge.

Talking about challenges, here's one I'm particularly happy about:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I spun those singles using my new Turkish spindle, but I plied them with my spinning wheel. Up until now, I had only used my spinning wheel for making single-ply yarn. This was the first time I was actually succesful at plying with it. And it's Navajo plying, which is, at least in my experience, more difficult than plying two singles. The only problem was that my center-pull ball got tangled as I was approaching the end of the yarn:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


I need to start thinking about a solution for my lack of a lazy kate and additional spools.

4 comments:

Diane said...

I love your sock Pioggia! It is sooo bright and sunny it makes me want to smile it's so cheerful!The baby cardigan is coming along nicely too ....good luck with theTurkish spindle :0) Ps whats pooches name?

Andrea said...

I've been eyeing up Fixaction at my LYS. Is it worth it?



Yup - sexy knits do take small bits of yarn. Or, in the case of knitty, small bits of licorice. :)

Jennifer said...

Fixation has gone from Vexation to Elation? I'm really liking it now too.

jody said...

i got fixation socks from my sockapalooza swap. i love them! i think elastic is the only way to go for cotton socks.



as for the baby cardi -- nice going on making progress even with that horrible-to-knit yarn!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...