Sunday, April 23, 2006

Pink and blue

As planned, I spent the day dyeing.  While I didn't get results as lovely as Felicia's, I did enjoy the process:



I prepared some vinegar water (one spoonful in a liter of water) and soaked the roving. I zapped the whole thing in the microwave for a minute while I dissolved the dye tablets in 1/2 cup of warm water. Then I used the medicine dropper to add the dye to the wool.  Then I zapped it some more until the pink dye was exhausted. The blue dye didn't take as easily as the pink one, and some was still bleeding out after I was done, so I rinsed the wool a couple of times.



I wrapped the roving in a towel and squeezed as much water out as I could and hung it to dry. You can already tell there's more pink than blue in the roving:



Because this was my first batch, by late evening it was dry and I could give it a try:



It's like spinning with cotton candy!

4 comments:

jody said...

very cool! as a non-spinner, i'm always fascinated by those who dye their roving. i love the look once it's spun up. you can't achieve that on already-spun yarn.



it's *almost* enough to drive me to spin!

Sandra said...

Great result!

Jennifer said...

What fun colors!

Louise said...

It looks tasty :). I wish I could spin. I tried it a few times and wasn't very good at it. Lots of practice is needed, I guess.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...