Thursday, April 20, 2006

Tired of yellow


Yes, that's how I feel. So I'm not working on either the baby cardigan nor the flip-flop socks. I know there's lots of blues on those socks, but still. I did keep spinning, and working on my lack of extra bobbins.  I have a yarn winder, of the type that produces center-pull balls. In order to fit a paper tube on the cone, I wind a few turns of waste yarn first:



The paper tube then fits snuggly on the cone, and I can wind my single ply yarn on it:



Notice that I'm not winding directly from the wheel. I made myself a lazy kate with a cardboard box and a knitting needle. That ought to be the laziest lazy kate of all. If all works well, I can fill up that bobbin again with more singles and then ply from two paper tubes using my cardboard lazy kate. Neat!

But I still feel the urge to knit. I always do. So I started yet another pair of socks with self-striping yarn that I dyed ages ago. See how I don't like yellow? That was the original color of that yarn. Sorry for the lousy picture, I'm using a webcam because the spouse will take the camera with him in his trip to Spain:


5 comments:

Diane said...

I love your lazy kate gadget,! necessity is the mother of invention!:0) I've been gifted several large cones of fine yarn and i want to wind them together so i'm thinking of getting a winder to do it with so that i can get nice even sort of balls to make them easier to store do you think it would work ok?

Jennifer said...

What a lovely pink for your new sock project! I love pink.

Sandra said...

You are very resouceful!

Louise said...

I love my ball winder. I think it's one of the best knitting investments I've made. Your self-striping yarn is beautiful.

Michele said...

Nice lazy kate! And I love the new sock colour.



Happy knitting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...