Saturday, March 19, 2005

Zapping yarn

What works with Kool-Aid should also work with food coloring and vinegar, right? My microwave had enough space to accomodate all these test jars:







I was trying to get two shades of each color: brown, green, and orange. The colors in the jars were not exactly what I was looking for but I zapped them anyway. I was cooking for two minutes every hour or so. By the end of the day I had colorfast yarn. Not even detergent and hot water could make these strands bleed. I placed them on a paper towel and now that they're dry, I realize the colors are more or less what they were supposed to be:



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I originally thought I wanted to use brown and green, but I like the brick red (second color from the top). My husband thinks it looks good with orange. What to you think?

5 comments:

Marlena said...

I like the red, too. That green you got is awesome! I dyed some yarn with Kool-Aid once and I wasn't that psyched with the colors I got.

jody said...

orange and red would be great!

Chaotic Husband said...

Yes, I like red and orange, but that brick red may more wearable than the orange, don't you think? Cheap Knitter sometimes uses colors that are a bit too wild for her serious husband... ;)

Andrea said...

That all came out of your yellow yarn?? Wow, great job! I love the bright green - makes me want to do some colouring!

Stacie said...

I like the red a lot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...