Wednesday, March 09, 2005

More dyeing experiments

I wanted purple yarn. And I still have lots of yellow yarn, the one I used for my striped socks. Of course, you cannot turn yellow into purple, but if you use enough purple dye you might just disguise that yellow. Or so I thought. Turns out, you need lots and lots of Grape Kool-Aid to prevent orange hues. Which means you get really dark purple yarn. The color is much darker than the picture shows:


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I wish grape Kool-Aid had more blue coloring in it, or less red. The blue tends to take longer to be absorbed by the wool, and I felt I had little control over the whole process. It might be time to migrate from Kool-Aid to food coloring and (yuck) white vinegar. I know there are better, more professional dyes, but anything that comes into my kitchen must be, as a minimum, edible.

3 comments:

Lani said...

I am a kool-aid dyer too. It's cheap. That is why I do it. Besides I have a lot of fun dyeing yarn with my kids. They seem fascinated that something they drink can make yarn such pretty colors. I used grape kool-aid this past weekend. Mine turned out a lighter shade of purple than yours...but mine was aran wool to begin with. It's not bad at all. I think my favorite kool-aid color is the Lemon-lime. LOL!



Ok, I am rambling now. I just popped by to say Hi and YAY for kool-aid dyeing. Your purple is lovely if I do say so, myself. :)

Stacie said...

Have you tried Wilton cake coloring?

Pioggia said...

No, I haven't, but that's probably what I'll be trying next. Thanks for the suggestion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...