Sunday, March 05, 2006

Feeling better, thank you


I've re-read my last entry and my, I do sound kind of bitter, don't I? I appreciate all the supportive comments/emails I received. Things aren't really that gloomy. If my husband were not making enough money we might be worried, but that isn't the case. This Friday I joined a knitting group.  It was a little impersonal but but just being there made me keep working on that long blue sock.  This Monday I have another interview, but this time it's different. I'm applying as a volunteer tutor for an adult education program. My first teaching experiences were also in adult education, so this is not going to be new to me. And volunteering is really a positive experience. When I first came to the U.S. I was a volunteer at a middle school, and in my last job I also volunteered as a hospital interpreter. I was hoping to get a job before volunteering for anything else, to avoid scheduling conflicts, but those worries are becoming less and less founded as I realize how difficult it is for an employer to sponsor a visa. Apparently, they would have to prove that there is no way they could find someone else with my abilities in the U.S. in order to get me a worker's visa. There is a limited number of those visas issued each year,  and most of them go to the computer science field. I should feel lucky that my husband got one of those and that I can still call myself legal, even if as his spouse I'm not allowed to work. I'm sure that staying busy will keep me cheerful enough to keep on knitting and blogging about it.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I didn't realize that you couldn't work without a visa even if you're married to an American. How frustrating!

melanie said...

I missed your issues in the midst of my round of the flu last week. I'm sorry to hear that it was rough going for a little while. Never underestimate your importance as a "homemaker" (or whatever you'd like to call it.) It's hard work to make a home successful-- children or no children.



Good luck with everything. I have faith that you'll be fine.

Louise said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. I understand the frustration of wanting to work but no being able to. I had my girl's 13 mos. apart and it was too expensive to go back to work and put them in daycare. Just now am I in a position to go back to work.

Michele said...

GLad you're feeling better. It sucks to be in that not working place. Keep your spirits up!

Pioggia said...

Thank you all for your encouragement. I should clarify that my husband is not a US citizen either. He came to the US as a student, and with that type of visa I was allowed to work. Now that he got one of those coveted worker's visas I cannot work anymore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...