Friday, March 17, 2006

I thought it was a joke!


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


And it was, but after the comments on last post I looked around and found that book in amazon.com. I didn't know whether to take it seriously or not, so I got it from the library to take a good look at it first. Don't worry doggy, no one's planning on depriving you of your beautiful coat (and I don't mean the red one) just to make yarn. I'm totally against making poodles look like topiary, so it's unlikely that I'll be shearing the pooch soon. He will need a haircut when it's warmer, but meanwhile I can use what he sheds.  One of my weekly brushings produced the following 18 inches of dog yarn:



I'm using these instructions to knit a square from the center out. I was increasing with yarn overs, just as the instructions say, but the square was "wobbly". It looked like I was knitting a saddle. So I ripped it and used a different increase, knitting from the stitch below. It looks more solid (the yarn overs create holes), but I believe it is slightly curving inwards. ¿Could I later block it into submission?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


I went to an estate sale today. I'd never been to one before, though I'd gone to plenty of garage sales and I didn't expect it to be any different. But offering for sale stuff that you don't need anymore is quite different from selling whatever your loved ones left behind. It was depressing. I got the following needle case  and its contents for ten dollars. I had thought about getting some needles in US sizes (mine are all metric), so getting all these needles seemed like a good bargain. There were at least two (sometimes three) pairs of needles for each needle size from one to ten. There were also three sets of double point needles sizes one through three, a few crochet hooks and two stitch holders. There's only one needle that has lost its mate. I'm keeping the case, one stitch holder, the dpns and a pair of needles of each size. The rest (what's outside the case) I'm donating to my knitting group today to keep the good karma flowing.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

4 comments:

Sandra said...

There is no garage sales here in Croatia! Pity!

jody said...

a whole book on spinning dog yarn -- i would have thought it was a joke too!

Jennifer said...

Spinning pet hair? I have to admit, I've thought of it. I have the most beautiful long haired cat...

Stacie said...

You could make her a sweater with her own hair!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...