Monday, March 20, 2006

Flip-flop socks


Yes, I need to finish a few things aroung here, but I started another project simply because Spring is almost here and soon I'll be wearing flip-flops. I know you're not supposed to wear socks with sandals, but if so many other people do it, why shouldn't I?

Flip-flop is also an appropriate name for a sock that has made me change courses so many times. I started almost a year ago with a swatch for the broadripple socks. But Cascade Fixation is a really unusual yarn. No wonder Jennifer renamed it "Vexation". Her efforts produced a wonderful sock, which inspired me to keep trying. I had to make three swatches until I was satisfied with my gauge, going from 56 stitches with 3.25 mm needles to  44 stitches on 2.25 mm needles.

And then, of course, was the problem of the toes. I knitted the outer toe section from the toe up. I then separated  six stitches for the fourchette between the big and second toe and used a crochet chain to make a provisional cast-on for the rest of the stitches. After a few rounds of pattern I went back to the big toe, which required another three trials before it got good enough. It's still not perfect, See how the big toe is pointing outwards? But that's not an issue when trying the sock on, so I'm keeping it.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us



If I attempt this again, I'll change the outer toe section so that it curves a little more between the toes. Also, I'll use four stitches instead of six for the fourchette. I believe that's the cause of the slanted toe.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

The coloure is great, stitch patterg great, but flip-flop socks (talking generally) are not my kind of knitting!

Michele said...

Stick-to-it-iveness is very admirable. Good luck with your sox!

RachelH said...

Great idea! Love the color! I'm not much for socks with flip flops but I know a few family members that do. Thanks for the idea!

Jennifer said...

I like it! With California weather, socks with flipflops is completely understandable.

Heather said...

I think it's great - and very geisha-like. I've always wanted to knit up some flip-flop socks! Good luck with those.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...