Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Dreaming of future projects

When I was a little girl I had this wonderful great-aunt that owned two fox stoles, made out of real foxes, and she allowed my sister and me to play with them. Back then the cruelty of killing an animal to wear its skin around your neck escaped me completely, but it came back to haunt me when my aunt died and my mom brought the precious stoles home for my sister and me. Of course, we've never worn the foxes.



Recently, one of my coworkers showed me a beautiful scarf made of soft furry polyester.... which reminded me of Marta's recent post about her vegan fox.... and I ended up thinking a lot about my aunt's stoles. I even dreamt of buying yarn for a vegan fox. Mind you, I did not dream of knitting the scarf, just buying the yarn.



I'm not sure if dreams are supposed to give you cues or not, but I looked up the pattern in knitty. It is a wonderful idea, but it requires thick needles that I know I would never use again. Also, I noted that one of the yarns the pattern calls for is merino wool, and an item made of wool it's not strictly "vegan". I am not a vegan and I like knitting with wool, but if I make this item I really want it to be totally free of animal products, don't ask me why. Is it that I'm feeling guilty just now after all those doggy fights me and my sister staged a long time ago with my aunt's fox stoles?


I don't want to buy any yarn yet, at least not until the holidays are over. But sooner or later I believe I'll end up knitting a fox scarf. I think that would please my great-aunt, she might not have been much in touch with nature, but she was a knitter too. The mystery yarn scarf on my finished projects list came originally from her stash.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...