Monday, January 24, 2005

To swatch or not to swatch

Swatch of course. One should always swatch. But when you've completed a pair of socks (48 stitches) and you're about to start another with almost the same type of yarn (a little heavier), you think you can get away with intuition alone.



Then you read the pattern on the label and the following thought process takes place: "Hey, you're only using 44 stitches, but the pattern on the label says you need 56 stitches for a medium size sock. Does it take 12 stitches to go down one size? Ummm. Let's just go up to 50 stitches and see how that fits".



So I ended up knitting an oversized sock, which I would have had to rip down anyway because the toe looks twisted (figure 8 toe) . But now it's obvious that 44 stitches were good.



I should know better and swatch. And if I choose not to (stubborn as I am), I should disregard labels and rely on my intuition. Here's how my ripped down toe looks like:







It's pretty, but my M1's are all biased to the same side, causing my toe to twist. The other M1's I know of that can be symmetrical leave a hole. So I'm ripping and starting again with the trusted short row method.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Hi Pioggia,



Where did you get your pattern for toe up socks (or toe down)? I'd like to try them and see if I like them better than my standard patterns.



Love the colour of that yarn! Looks so great from here!

Tracy said...

They are a lovely shade of blue though. This sock it to me is so good, I get to see all the lovely differnt sock wools from all over the place!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...