Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Bernat Fur Out

That's my cheap yarn choice for my fox. I'm not following Knitty's Vegan fox, though I love that pattern. Instead I'm making it all up as I go, and that's because the yarn substitution makes me go from 10 mm to 6.5 mm needles. Rather than doing the math, I prefer to play it by ear. I also have limited choices when it comes to needles. I'm not buying 6.5 mm dpn's, so the feet are not going to be knit in the round. But, strictly speaking, my fox is more of a vegan item, because no animal materials are involved, unlike the original pattern. Though let me add that I am not a vegan, and that I am only using one type of yarn because of my cheap nature.



I have already knitted the hind quarters. My camera is with my husband, who is still in Spain, so there will be no pictures for a while. Fur out looks like a stuffed animal and feels like one. Here's a picture I stole from the Bernat site (hey, at least I'm not linking to their server):





The color is "Foxy Grey" (is that destiny or what?). It's squeaky to knit with, especially with my plastic needles, but I don't mind the squeaking. It's not as soft as the original yarns the Knitty pattern calls for, but it's still soft enough for a garment. Keep in mind that anything that's knit out of this yarn will look like a plush toy, which is exactly what I want, but I'm not sure about what other uses this yarn could have. I bought four skeins, and it looks like 1 1/2 skein will be enough. I hope the store will take back any skeins I don't use.



As for my spinning wheel dilemma, it still looks like the bobbin and flyer move at the same speed, but there is no way to know for sure unless I actually try to spin. All I have now is soy silk and my intuition tells me I should start with wool. Therefore, I'm putting my spinning experiments on hold until I get some rovings.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...