Wednesday, January 19, 2005

First Socks

The Sock it to Me site says "first socks" when you mouse over my name, but in reality, these were my first socks ever:






I started them in 1998, and I never really finished them. See, when I started my first sock I was knitting very loosely (my first attempt at dpns), but by the time I got to the second sock my stitches were too tight and I did not notice until it was too late (I had already turned the heel). The only solution was to rip and and start again with larger needles, but I never got to it. My mother, always a kind spirit, found the unfinished pair among my stuff in Mexico and finished them for me without noticing my dilemma. So even if they are finished, one of the socks is still too tight to wear. They were knit from the cuff, and I don't know how to fix them. I'll keep them in case I ever figure that out.



As you can tell, I had become disappointed with socks until I read of toe-up socks. My second socks were the Kool-Aid-Scope self striping adventure (during which I had to learn how to do the Kitchener bindoff because my cuff was still very tight). So the Socka socks are actually my third pair.

Speaking of which, my pretty self-patterning yarn started doing weird things, but I was in denial and kept knitting:







But along came a KNOT and I knew I had to rip, find the right place in the sequence and join. So I pulled out yards and yards of yarn fom the skein until the right color came out, only to realize that the yarn had been knotted backwards. Argh! My skein was a mess, but I went back to the store and they wound it for me again, so I can keep knitting with the colors in the correct order. Did I mention before that the people at Yarns etc were nice and helpful? I'm not sure I can hide the ends in the middle of the sock, though.



The Frankenbag is finished, but it needs some blocking:

3 comments:

Missy said...

I love the Frankenbag! I think it turned out really well. Your spinning wheel looks great set up in your living room too - you must be so excited!



I like hearing about all your sock struggles and triumphs, because I am going to embark on my first socks in the near future. I get a lot of sock inspiration form your page. ^_^

Stacie said...

The bag turned out great!

Pioggia said...

Thank you, Missy and Stacie.



Missy, good luck with your socks, don't start with a fancy pattern.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...