Saturday, February 05, 2005

Tight cuff

I cannot find a good way to prevent a cuff that's too tight unless I use the Kitchener bind-off. I followed Vax-Girl's instructions but still, the cuff is too tight. Just before binding off my husband tried the sock and it fit him all right, but now it cannot go up past his heel. I'm obviously doing something wrong.







We had an unexpected visitor: on Wednesday a friend came to see us from Virginia and stayed with us until today. It was very nice to see him again and even if this was a very sudden visit we had a good time. Now that he's left I should go back to my knitting, but I feel like I've lost my sock momentum.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Have you tried using a needle several sizes larger as the working needle as you bind off? It keeps the stitches loose so the bind off is as stretchy as the ribbing. Hope this helps.

Michele said...

Oh, no! Don't lose the sock momentum!



See, you do lots of knitting for others. Your husband gets all kinds of great knitted gifts from you!



Have a great day!

Tracy said...

I've just been looking at some of your finished objects, they're gorgeous! The little butterflies are brilliant. You've done some lovely stuff. I ditto Jane, I cast off extremely tightly even when I think it's loose! I go up a needle size to cast off, (with my chunky chenille i had to go up a size and a half!)

Marlena said...

Have you tried using a sewn bind off? It's extremely stretchy. It works best if you have a tail about three times as long as your work. Thread a sewing needle with the tail, and insert the needle knitwise through the first two stitches on your knitting needle. Then bring the yarn through the back of the first loop on your knitting needle, let that stitch drop. Continue in this manner all around the cuff. It's my favorite bind off!

Pioggia said...

I sure have. The "sewn" bindoff is called "kitchener bindoff" in one of my books. I have done that with my las two pairs. While I like it a lot, I was hoping to find another way to bind off that could be easily ripped and that did not require a needle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...