Monday, September 26, 2005

Mea Culpa

I should not have whined so much about that pattern because I did not read it correctly. I skipped the part that said you needed to put some stitches on a holder. I only noticed my mistake when I took a look at the picture and the collar looked quite different.



Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us



I have now finished the ribbing on the left front and guess what... I ran into trouble again. When knitting the right front, I always had a red strand of yarn on the right hand side when doing the little checkers. I used that red strand for the button band intarsia style, turned my work, knit the button band and then kept going with the checkers. But now I need to make a buttonhole band on the left hand side, where no red strand of yarn awaits for me. There's three ways (maybe more) to go around this:


  • Rip. Start knitting on the wrong side from the beginning. This means I'll do the checkered stitch from the wrong side, and the garter band with purl stitches. I like this solution. I could even forgo the purls and use knit stitches. Who's going to notice that the bands don't match?
  • Don't rip. Get another red yarn bobbin and knit the button band using intarsia.
  • Rip down to the ribbing. Cut the yarn. transfer the row to another needle and start the pattern from the wrong side.
  • There's always the possibility of knitting the buttonband separately, but that would be cheating... plus I hate seams and want to avoid them whenever possible.


    Talking about seams, I started putting the pink raglan together. I'm trying to get all rows properly aligned, which is something that usually doesn't bother me.






    The picture on the right is the raglan. See how the pattern rows are aligned? The increases match too, but you have to take a really close look to see that. The picture on the left shows a seam in which the increases do not match. But the people I frequent don't usually bring their faces that close to my armpit anyway, so I usually don't care about such things.

    2 comments:

    jody said...

    lovely seaming job!

    Jennifer said...

    Hmmmm, I don't know what option I would do. Ripping it back to the ribbing seems the least complex to me.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...