Saturday, September 24, 2005

The end is near

Or so I hope. I did have to unravel that third sleeve. And the fourth. And the fifth. So of course I'm thrilled that this time I finally got things right.









Part of the problem is that this stitch really makes a stretchy fabric, so what seems the right size while lying flat can be oversized when worn (YES, I got as far as seaming a sleeve, putting it on and finding out that it was too big). Live and learn. Luckily, the trial and error phase is behind me and all I have to do is knit a duplicate.


I have also completed the front of the baby cardigan, another trial and error process. The pattern doesn't really tell you when to start decreasing, it just tells you how many decreases you need to make (plus it would really help if it explained how the decreases should be worked to keep the squares consistent). Also, the checkered stitch has a shorter row gauge that stockinette stitch. I didn't realize that until it was too late. I had to rip down, add rows, and start the decreases again. Seaming will be a nightmare, since the back has 2/3 of the total amount of rows I used on the front.




Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

2 comments:

Stacie said...

I hate it when patterns are so unclear. Don't we knit from patterns so we don't have to do a lot of thinking? LOL! Otherwise, why not just design our own!

Jennifer said...

Oh, sounds like a nightmare. All the extra work you are doing will ensure a nice fitting garment though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...