Monday, August 20, 2007

Weekend dye job


Last year made a pair of fingerless mitts with my handspun yarns and I liked them a lot, but I kept thinking I should have made them longer. So I'm using up the rest of my handspun yarns in a second pair of fingerless mitts.  That also gives me an excuse to spin the rest of the colored rovings.


It occurred to me that I am finally spinning singles that are thin enough to make socks from them. Of course, I could be wrong and slubs may show up while plying, in which case I would use the yarn for mittens. In any case, I'd need more purple singles, and that's why I dyed another batch of purple roving. I don't expect a match, but at least I'd be plying with a similar shade of purple.

          


I used solar energy, which I hadn't tried before. After a whole day on my balcony, this is the result.



As usual, I used regular food coloring and vinegar. I wish I had a white enamel pot so I could have seen clearly when all of the dye was taken up by the yarn. Also, if I ever move to more toxic stuff, I might not want to use the same pot where I cook my frijoles.

The spouse's socks are growing. I chose the undulating rib sock pattern, also from the Favorite Socks book. The pattern is very easy to memorize so it won't bother me that I'll have to return the book to the library before I'm done.


1 comment:

Diane said...

The purple is lovely, i like the way it appears to have small shots of pink in it too....i bet it will knit up into a gorgeous pair of mitts.Your storming on with your husbands socks,i like the pattern too,you are getting very productive :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...