Monday, August 13, 2007

Cuffing

My philosophy with these socks has been to keep knitting and, unless it's horrible or unwearable, don't rip. This applies to the cuff, which is sort of inelastic. Even the model has problems keeping her cuffs up:



Or maybe she's doing it on purpose because it looks cute. Still, should I be reasonable and rip in order to make a better cuff? Or just keep going according to the pattern? This is my cuff so far:



You can tell that the cuff is not pulling the stitches together and tightening the fabric like a cuff is supposed to do.

Both Andrea and Jennifer  pointed out that the short row heel is not as comfortable as the gusseted heel. So now I understand why so many people prefer the gussets. I will wear my gusseted socks and decide for myself whether or not I like them better than the short rows. If I do, I'll give gussets a second chance. Andrea also pointed out a tutorial by Grumperina to avoid holes when picking up stitches along the heel flap. Very helpful for cuff-down socks, but I need a better solution for toe-ups.

Ivy asked me about the yarn I'm using. It's Mama E's sock yarn, in Glampyre colors. I got the yarn as a prize from the Glampyre herself. I have checked Mama E's website but I don't see that colorway available. Maybe she just made this one batch for the Glampyre, who knows?

The pooch is doing well and his wound is healing wonderfully, but his behavior is less than wonderful. He obviously hates the collar, and he lets us know by reverting to his early childhood behavior, when he was a very naughty puppy indeed. I just hope he goes back to his old self when we remove the collar.

4 comments:

Diane said...

I think pooch will be so pleased to get the bucket off his head that he will be an absolute angel!:) He'll be like Hercules unchained!LOL When Jack was neutered he crashed about all over the place with his Elizabethan collar/bucket on and he was very cross with us for making him wear it,but as soon as he was released he was back to his normal happy self,getting up to his normal variety of mischief ;)

The socks look lovely,as you know i've never made any myself,but i can see what you mean by the picture on the model....maybe they are meant to be more of a slouch sock???

Stacie said...

Oh I as so glad your dog is doing better!

Marlena said...

Are you able to try on the sock at all? If it were me, and I knew it was too loose, I would rip and reknit.



I myself prefer a short row heel. Both because I prefer the look, and I find them to be more comfortable. My boyfriend prefers gussets though, so I still have to knit them sometimes!

Jennifer said...

In terms of heel, some people find the short row heel more comfortable. It all depends on the foot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...