Thursday, May 04, 2006

Sending it back


I've bought books from Amazon since 1999. This is the second time I'm returning a book and it's breaking my heart. I anxiously awaited my copy of "Confessions of a Knitting Heretic", the only book  written with the combination knitting method in mind. Because that's the method I've used all my life, I really wanted to like it.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I started to read it, but it's just not doing it for me. There's too much information on the author's personal life, spirtual life, family history and professional trajectory. And frankly, she repeats herself too much (yeah, I already know I'm knitting just fine, I don't need to read it over and over). I kept skimming and finally decided that I don't like it. And it's not because of the lousy printing, thin paper or fuzzy pictures. I don't even mind the typos. But I didn't need to be told twenty times that people should knit with whatever method they please, because I already know that. I wanted to learn more from a professional knitter whose explanations and terminology are useful for all knititng methods. I believe Anne Modesitt is that professional knitter, but I also believe she should tone it down when it comes to sharing her self-discovery voyage whilst knitting against the tide.

That said, there's lots of useful stuff in the book, and her charts and explanations are good for any knitting method. But that's not enough for me to keep the book.

4 comments:

jody said...

this isn't the first time i've heard this about CoaKH. i think annie is probably jaded by the earlier knitting years when things weren't quite as open as they are now. it's a shame because i think she's such an intelligent, smart knitter. her patterns and techniques are so clever and well-thought-out.

Sandra said...

So proud of you! WHile others have been telling nothing but too good for that book, you stepped out and got your oppinion! Wonderful you didn't go with the flow!

Pioggia said...

I also love her patterns and, I understand her attitude. I've also been through the "you're knitting wrong!" story, after all. I really enjoyed her website and that's what made me buy the book. But like I said, it was disappointing.

Beatriz said...

I have this book...haven't read it all the way thru yet. Thanks for posting your opinion on the book. There's definitely not enough on Combination knitting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...