Thursday, August 25, 2005

Two lists

I'm leaving tomorrow. I took the time to make two lists.



Things I will miss:

  • The very nice people I've met here.
  • Bertoldino. He's now in a large tank with lots of other fish. I hope he likes it.
  • My plants. Most of them went to good homes. Will they be all right?
  • My favorite cheap sushi place.
  • My favorite cheap Chinese buffet.
  • Being able to walk to work.
  • My job, where I get to meet a lot of people, do some fun labwork and also knit.
  • The weather, especially the mild winters. The summers are hot, but I like them so.
  • The three different theatres in town that show independent movies.
  • The library (and the inter-library loans).
  • The local theater company.



    Things I will not miss:

  • Tobacco smoke and tobacco stench.
  • Not being able to buy wine on a Sunday morning.
  • The humidity (rust, mold, wet towels that are hung to dry but are still humid the next morning).
  • The southern drawl (except for the "y'all", which is lovely).
  • The excessive amount of pickup trucks and SUV's (and their drivers).
  • The fact that there's not a decent Mexican restaurant in this area.
  • The excessive Jesustalk that I encounter in all sorts of circumstances, and that I perceive as mere lip service.



    I'm still depressed but that's just because I'm overwhelmed by all the stuff that still needs to be done. I'm sharing a few pictures of Guatemala just to cheer me up:




  • 3 comments:

    Jennifer said...

    Unfortunately there is an excessive amount of SUVs out here too. I hope things go well with your move.

    Heather said...

    Pioggia,



    I'm so sorry to hear that you're down -- your travels across the country will surely lift your spirits -- and Bertolino will surely thrive among his new friends. I'm glad to hear that you like the y'all -- it serves a purpose, doesn't it? Perhaps you have room in your car for something about the size of a fist?

    Stacie said...

    Best wishes on your move. I'm sure it will be great there.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...