Friday, August 19, 2005

Too many woven goodies

I finally made pictures of all the handwoven items I got in Guatemala. I'll start with this beautiful huipil (the neckline is machine embroidered, but the rest is woven and brocaded by hand):




This is a more authentic huipil, all the embroidery is handmade:





The next one is not a traditional huipil, it's the sort of thing only tourists buy. It's not woven in a traditional loom, but all the embroidary is handmade. That green bird is a Quetzal.




I also bought two pillowcases and a set of handwoven placemats:



And a little brocaded purse that I quickly filled up with stuff:




Except for the blue huipil, I did not spend much money. In fact, it hurts me that some of these things are too cheap. All that labor for just a few dollars doesn't seem fair.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous things.

Stacie said...

What wonderful purchases you made. So beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...