Friday, October 29, 2004

Yipee! the computer is mine!

But not for long, so let me quickly show you the gloves I knit for my hubby:




That's him at his desk. And yes, he's wearing his pijamas. Did I mention that he works until very late? Incidentally, I made that coaster that you can see in the back. I used a CD-ROM and cotton yarn.

Also, here's how my mouthwash yarn looked once I wound it into two balls:





Here's two views of the short row toe. I wanted to see which side looked better, and chose the second one (it's too late to disagree, the sock is finished):







Here's the short row ankle, which I didn't like much because all the green yarn was used up for the ankle, with no stripes. And on top of the ankle I have a yellow stripe twice as wide as the rest. This made me think that I should try an afterthought ankle, that way the striping would continue with the same pattern.





Finally, this is the ribbing and the kitchener bind off. It's very wobbly, but considering this was my first attempt at kitchener bind off, I'm not complaining.




Froggy mentioned not using Buss's "Big Book of Knitting" much. I confess that I have only consulted it twice. And twice I had the same impression: the diagrams and pictures are perfect, but the explanations are too short.



Isn't it too soon to have second sock syndrome? I'm going to work a little more on my nephew's scarf and then I'll finish the other striped sock.

8 comments:

Michele said...

Pictures at last! Well done. Good to know about the Buss book because I have it as well. It's packed right now but I was thinking about digging it out. Instead I bought Stitch'n'Bitch. Have you heard anything about that one?

Pioggia said...

Yes I have, a friend of mine has it and the projects are fun. The one project that interested me was the alien scarf.

nasheikah said...

hi , don't know if you got last message .

for hubby's scarf i cast on 40 +

then knit 30 rows in k2,p2 ribbing . then knit 6 rows until desired length . i'm not sure what happens on the sides for the pints i imagine the looser you knit that section on the ends the looser and pointier it gets . none the less , it's my first pattern !

Michelle said...

What yarn and pattern did you use for the gloves? I'm thinking Christmas present for DH here... Loved the socks! Yellow happens to be my favorite color, but you can always dunk the whole thing in Kool-Aid and get rid of it.

Pioggia said...

I used Regia yarn (I wish I remembered more specifics) given to me by my mother a year ago to knit her some gloves. I double stranded and used 4 mm needles. I knit her gloves without a pattern, and later used the leftovers to knit this second pair (without fingertips and with a shorter cuff). Luckily my husband's hands are the same size as my mother's.

Michele said...

Thanks for your comments on my glove project on Beknitted. I wish I'd had your sage advice before I posted the pix. But the project I'm making for my Grandmother right now (an Eros shawl) will be totally her style, no matter how it turns out. Looking forward to your next post.

Stacie said...

How in the world did you manage to dye the yarn into a self striping pattern? That is so cool!

Pioggia said...

I used a modified version of Monika's technique (http://lizzi.freeservers.com/stripes.html).



Check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...