Thursday, October 28, 2004

Blogging without pictures

It's not as fun, but it will have to do. At least I am taking pictures and as soon as I can use my husband's computer I will post them. I have finished one striped sock and I started the second one. I had never knit a toe up sock so I simply did a normal bind off and discovered it was too tight. This really needed a more flexible bind off, so I consulted Katharina Buss's "Big Book of Knitting" about the Kitchener bind off. The diagrams and pictures are great, but the explanations could go into a little more detail. It explains how to do a 1x1 ribbing bind off in the round, but no explanation was given for a 2x2 rib in the round, which was what I wanted to do. There was, however, an explanation for a 2x2 rib on straight needles, so I attempted that and failed miserably. I ended up frogging the 2x2 ribbing and tried instead the 1x1. It looks a little irregular but this is, after all, an experimental pair of socks. Come think about it, I'm not sure I dare to wear these striped socks anyway. If I try this again, I'll aim at narrower stripes, and colors I will actually want to wear (I don't like yellow much).

3 comments:

froggy said...

i have that book and need to actually use it. i hear people refer to it all the time.

Michele said...

Hi Pioggia,



I have to say that I love reading about your experiments. Whatever the outcome, I always feel a little braver with my own projects Keep up the good work!

Pioggia said...

Thank you, it's good to know it can be inspiring to someone else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...