Saturday, September 25, 2004

Beads!

I asked my sister if I may knit something for her kids. She's a very considerate person and requested scarves, probably because she knows those are the easiest things to knit. Since I wanted something a little more challenging, I decided to use beads. After reading on several different techniques, I chose this method. I liked it because the beads stay on the front of the work. Of course, later my husband asked why the beads could only be seen on one side of the scarf. When I explained that that had been my purpose from the very beginning, he pointed out that with scarves it really does not matter if the beads can be seen from both sides. I appreceiate his usually very constructive input, but this time I'm leaving things the way they are. I'll post pictures soon.



I followed the instructions on this pattern from Knitty to get the beads threaded.




I am tired of scarves, but I like the feeling of almost instant gratification you can get from them. I'm making a purple kiddie scarf with beads on both ends for my niece, and I will make a blue one for my nephew. I wonder if beads will be all right for a 3 1/2 year old boy. My husband believes beads are for girls. Just in case, instead of beaded edges, I'll write his name with beads. I think he will like that, he's just beginning to read.

2 comments:

Stacie said...

I couldn't think of a better way to spice up a scarf. Sounds great :)

Missy said...

Your dillema with the beads sounds familiar. I'm afraid to make anything for my cousin's son (while, as you may know, I produce mass quantities for his daughter) because I'm afraid it won't be blue enough for them. haha. My own tendency is, of course, to laugh in the face of gender stereotypes (I ask what's wrong with beads for boys! They're kids too...), but then you also have to respect the parent's wishes. Oh my. The name thing sounds like a good compromise though. Good luck with it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...