Saturday, April 21, 2007

Ugly sock

Thanks again for the kind comments to previous entries.

I turned the heel of the second sock and set out to adapt Wendy's feather and fan sock pattern to 15 stitches per repeat instead of 18. The result is not pretty:



Here's a close-up:



I don't like it, and I don't believe my Swapetines victim will like them either. What to do? I don't want to continue in plain stockinette. I'm eyeing the Ridged Feather pattern from Charlene Scurch's Sensational Knitted Socks. Not that I bothered to buy the book, I just checked it out of the library. That's an 11 stitch repeat but I believe that adapting it to more stitches might be easier.

However, If anyone has any suggestions on a 15 stitch repeat that might look pretty with self-striping socks, I'd love to hear about it.

The kiri keeps growing... shall I stop at two skeins of Kid Merino or go for three? I never wear shawls (though I swear I'm going to wear this one) so I really don't know when to stop.



Pssst... did anyone notice that I'm finally using the new camera instead of the webcam?

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'd go for the third skein for Kiri, unless having a big shawl would make you less likely to wear it.

Diane said...

Pioggia can i ask you a question, without seeming a real nit wit.....but what is Swapetine? I can hear everyone laughing :) But please remember i'm the other side of the water :)

Marlena said...

I can definitely see the difference in your photos! They look great!



I can't think of any 15 stitch repeats off hand, but what I've done in the past is just look at a stitch pattern book and pick one that fits. For striping yarn, I'd say a chevron or something rippley like feather and fan would be nice! You could also google for "old shale" which is another term for feather and fan, and that may turn up something.

Diane said...

Thanks for the explanation on the Swaptines Pioggia :)

I've only knitted baby socks ,i will one day knit myself a pair of socks!It's top of my "To make list":)

I forgot to mention the lovely pic of your shawl, i love it and the model looks very comfortable too!:) Maybe a little too comfortable LOL

Stacie said...

Kiri is looking good! I think I would go for 3 skeins if it were me. I don't think your sock is ugly. I usually don't bother with a pattern stitch on striping socks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...