Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Three tutorials


I have completed both socks except for the ribbing and the cast-off.



Luckily, Jody published a tutorial on the tubular bindoff. It's not that different from the kitchener bindoff in Katharina Buss's Big Book of Knitting, except  that it does not require two rows slipping every other stitch (1st row purls, 2nd row knits). I never figured out what was the purpose of those two rows, except maybe make the edge even stretchier.

I'll be trying Jody's method this time. I think I'm more confident now about my twisted stitches, and hopefully I'll figure things out.

Which means I will not be using  Andrea's  picot edge bindoff tutorial for this pair of socks. Ist'nt it a pity? I really felt like giving it a try. That's why I started yet another project:



Which gave me the opportunity to also try out  Melinda's  picot edge cast-on tutorial. Now both edges have picots. That's probably way too many picots but it was an interesting learning experience. Plus, I put some of my easter egg handspun yarn to some use. The problem, of course, is that now I have to knit another mitt. My list just keeps growing, maybe that's why I haven't gathered the courage to update it yet .

4 comments:

Diane said...

I love the socks! what yarn did you use? some that you dyed yourself or some that you bought?I couldn't quite understand which it was that you were going to use....Anyway i LOVE them very nice indeed

Andrea said...

Those socks look fantastic! And same with your fingerless mitts. Are those the pattern from Knitty?



And yes, Austermann is horrifically expensive. Probably the reason why it's so nice to knit with. I haven't heard anything about Knitpicks. Can you get Patons Kroy? That might be decent to work with too.

Sandra said...

Thanks for those tutorials! Sometimes I am pretty much insecure which bind-off to use, sometimes it is most dificult decision and sometimes even seaming looks like peace of cake due to trouble with right bind-off)!

Louise said...

Both projects are goregous! I know what you mean about a growing listing of knitting projects. I keep thinking of new things I just have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...