Monday, November 20, 2006

They're so unique...


You know what they say about handmade things: None two are alike. Well, that applies to my fingerless mitts:



Both come from the same merino roving which I dyed using purples and greens and that I spun and plied with my spinning wheel. The yarn was very uneven regarding gauge and colors, so I was not expecting identical mitts. Still, I was surprised to see that the second mitt turned out smaller. I could rip it and knit it again with more stitches and rows, but the difference in size is not noticeable when I put them on. I still need to finish the thumb.

I also finished my socks using Jody's cast-off. I discovered that my twisted stitches, which I thought of as a hindrance, were actually very helpful. Here's what happens: On step four, you have to bring the yarn to the back and insert the needle between the first and second stitches, and then you insert it knitwise into the second stitch. In Katharina Buss's method you drop the first stitch to do this, and then picking it up again is a nightmare.

Well, thanks to my twisted stitches, I can simply bring the yarn to the back and insert the needle knitwise directly into the second stitch. And to think that in previous attempts I had de-twisted my stitches back into submission!



I wore my socks yesterday without blocking them and they stayed up without the need to add elastic thread, which is a first for me regarding knee-highs.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I am dreaming of knee-high socks for me!

No matter the diferent sizes - mitts are great!

Heather said...

Your socks look great - I bet they'd be so cute with a skirt. I also like the fingerless mitts, but does it really get chilly enough out there for mitts? :)

Andrea said...

I couldn't imagine the patience to knit up a pair of knee high socks. I get tired at the ankle. :) Your fingerless mitts look great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...