Sunday, January 22, 2006

Not the magic loop


I'm using a similar trick. Following Jennifer's advice, I looked up the magic loop technique and found this site. I tried the magic loop on a circular needle and started getting ladders. That's because pulling the cable after each half round stretched the yarn between the stitches. Obviously, this technique works better with two circulars, which is also widespread among knitting bloggers. But frankly, who wants to buy a second circular needle of the same gauge?  I also got some advice from Urraca, who suggested using straight needles and kindly provided this link. I wasn't sure I wanted to try that tecnhique, but I tried using double point needles instead of two circulars and I'm very satisfied with the results. I am knitting two legs at the same time. That will save me from counting rows. All I want is both legs to be the same length.

In other news, I was tagged on my Spanish blog by Olivia and Lia. I am to list five unusual habits, so here they go:

  • I usually sleep with a hat on. We keep our bedroom at 68oF (20oC) but that's not enough for me.
  • I drink coffee and spicy food even if that upsets my stomach because of chronic GERD. I don't do that everyday, but often enough to annoy my husband.
  • Because of said GERD, I sleep with two pillows. I sometimes steal a third from my husband and sleep in what I call the Chac Mool position.
  • I keep a constant heap of reading materials, papers and pending stuff that I never clear out. I never let it grow too much, but I never eliminate it completely. I dust and clean around it, though. My husband calls it "the little pigsty".
  • I'm obsessed with having lots of underwear. I could go for at least three weeks without doing laundry and I'd still be able to wear clean underwear every day. When I travel, I keep a set of underwear in my carry-on luggage. If I miss any connecting flights or my luggage gets lost, I am at least guaranteed clean socks and underwear the next day. And I travel with my cheapest, ugliest, oldest, worn out underwear, so I can throw it away during the trip and not waste time washing it.

  • Now I need to tag five more people, so I'm tagging Jennifer, Sandra, Michele, Louise  and Urraca.

    4 comments:

    Jennifer said...

    I'm glad you found a workable solution for the legs!

    Sandra said...

    No problem, rainy girl. I like this tagging thing!

    Michele said...

    Hi Pioggia!



    Just wanted to let you know that I'll pass on the meme. I already did this one last fall and I don't think anybody wants to read about my neurotic, er, strange habits again! Thanks for thinking of me, though!



    Happy knitting!

    VaxGirl said...

    Wow, that is a great technique! I vaguely remember reading about it, but that tutorial really makes it easy. I think it would really be great for i-cords, too.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...