Monday, May 12, 2008

Sunset socks

WIth the pretty Opal yarn I got fron Nutse, I started a new pair of socks. The pale blue contrasting with the warm colors reminds me of a sunset at the beach. This will be another Coriolis pair for myself, with some modifications. My progress would be faster paced were it not for a book that I found hard to put down: The Logic of Life, by Tim Harford. I finished reading it last night.




In general, I am not interested in economics, but in this case the author tries to explain things such as sexual behavior, racial discrimination, CEO pay, o inequalities between cities and rural areas. According to him, people making really foolish decisions tend to have what turns out to be a rational base, even when the consequences are to everyone else's disadvantage. He cites a lot of behavioral experiments conducted by other researchers, and in some cases the results made me very sad. How can we humans be so selfish and biased?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

There's a lot of unhappy and disappointing things about humanity, but a lot of good, hopeful things too. At least I try to remind myself of that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...