Monday, May 26, 2008

I won!


I won Mathgirl's contest! She randomly chose my entry on unusual or obscure holidays. Where I come from, Candlemas is not that unusual, but people in the US or Canada don't really celebrate it. Here's my prize:



It is a skein of  Mama Llama Monterey from Woolgirl. Thank you, Mathgirl, you made my day! I've never knit anything with seacell in it, and I can't wait to try it out.

The semester was officially over last week. That means that things are going to slow down until the Summer session begins. I will try to finish my sunset socks before then. Here is one heel, completed.



I recently finished reading  The clash of Fundamentalisms, by Tariq Ali.





This is another depressing book which gives the historical reasons of the mess we have in the Middle East. Here'a a quote: "To fight tyranny and oppression by using tyrannical and oppressive means, to combat a single-minded and ruthless fanaticism by becoming equally fanatical and ruthless, will not further the cause of justice or bring about a meaningful democracy. It can only prolong the cycle of violence."

Which reminds me of a song  Nacha Guevara used to sing in the 80s.



I will not bother translating the whole song. It's horrible. In the beginning, with much optimism, she decides to stamp out all hatred. But in doing so, hateful methods are adopted. A very sad message.

3 comments:

Social Network Web Design said...

The socks look cute. Nice colors. Btw, congrats for winning! :)

Jennifer said...

Congrats on winning the contest! Beautiful prize. Love the socks too.

Sandra said...

great you wanna know about problems in the world - not undesratnding and having fears are so damn bad combinations!



Congratulations on winning the contest!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...