Sunday, May 18, 2008

I succumbed


Oh yes, The online Coriolis pattern was enough to tempt me and now I am the owner of Cat Bordhi's New Pathways for Sock Knitters. My library does not have it, it was not available through interlibrary loan, and I really wanted to explore more this idea of not having any gussets but having a heel flap.



So far, no buyer's remorse. I had already begun these coriolis with the idea to  keep increasing after completing the heel in order to make the arch a little bit more roomy. Now that I have the book in my hands I see that Cat's method actually teaches you to take row gauge into consideration, unlike the online pattern which was kind of vague (it says to start the increases at 5-3/4" less than desired length, and I'm not sure that worked for Caroline's socks). I like the way the book is teaching me to think of socks in a new way, but is still lax enough to let me try stuff my way. I might even venture into cuff down socks again thanks to the alternative toes her book offers. Oh, and I am happy to report that the mistake I found in the online pattern is not present in the book.

Another book flew by this week: Agent to the Stars. This is Scalzi's very first novel, which nobody wanted to publish, as is usually the case with unknown authors. So he uploaded it to his website and it became a major hit among Science Fiction fans. He got more that $4,000 from this shareware novel before someone finally decided to publish it.



I got a copy through interlibrary loan, but if you like funny Science Fiction and a quick read, you can follow the link to the whole novel, which is still online.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Isn't it a great book? Haven't knit anything from it yet, but it's interesting to look at.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...