Saturday, October 14, 2006

Green yarn

I was asked what type of yarn I was using for my jaywalker sock. It's something called Paton's beehive from my grandma's stash. I still have lots of it.



The stuff must be at least 20 years old, long before beehive became an acrylic  baby yarn, recently discontinued. This is wool, that's why it's not yellow anymore. I dyed it almost two years ago using powdered drinks.

Remembering how fun that was,  I felt the urge to dye some more of that yellow yarn, this time using food coloring , a used tea bag and vinegar. Of course, the winding around a plastic bottle  into three connected hanks was more or less the same as before.



I was aiming at teal, pale green and olive (thus the tea bag). But I didn't do a test first, I was happy to get to work hoping for nice results.



As it turned out, the teal section is almost undistiguishable from the pale green, and the olive green turned out a little too brownish. I should have been more careful with that tea bag.



I'm still going to use it, but don't ask me when. Probably within the next couple of years.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I always learn something from your entries!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...