Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Coriolis


I was late in sending in my swap socks. To make it up to my sock recipient, I sent them by UPS instead of regular mail. The pattern I used was Coriolis, by Cat Bordhi. I believe the web version of the pattern contains two mistakes (hopefully  her book does not), but I liked it a lot.  The increases are on the top of the foot, curving diagonally. A very interesting way to construct a sock, but not the best choice when you have a deadline and little time to learn new techniques. Anyway, the socks are on their way and I have a few pictures to show.

I followed the pattern as written except for the toe and the bindoff.  Here is the heel, which is just like an ordinary toe-up heel with a heel flap:



You can see how he diagonal ridge continues after the heel just as a decoration. Here is one sock right before the edging, showing the ridge on both sides of the sock:

      


The pattern calls for a seed stitch edging, which I was unsure of but I went ahead and used it.  What I did not do according to the pattern was the bind-off, which required four strands of yarn. Instead, I  did a purl bindoff, using the technique I learned from Vaxgirl. Here is the result:

      


Please ignore my hairy legs. The sock is a tad big for my foot, but I should fit the recipient. For the record, I did wash both socks before sending them in.

This very unusual sock design has piqued my curiosity. I am itching to try Cat's new book: New Patwhays for Sock Knitters. Does anyone recommend it?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very pretty! I have that book, and have had fun looking through it, but I haven't made anything from it yet.

Diane said...

Now thats what i call pretty!I love the colour of the yarn....it's very tutti frutti and i love it! I've still not tried knitting any socks myself yet and i don't think i'd manage anything as complicated as these,the diagonal twisty is very snazzy!....Very nice knitting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...