Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A family anecdote

Many years ago, my father worked for a British transnational company. He was based in Mexico City, but he got an extremely good offer to relocate to an African country. He accepted it, and patiently explained to us that we were moving to a far away land where lions and elephants came from. And yet, after gathering more information, he ended up declining the offer for a number of reasons, among them his fears on how we would fare in a ratially segregated society. Of course, by then I had already informed all my friends that I was going to live among lions and elephants. In addition to being very disappointed, I felt like a big liar.

Well, I feel a little bit like that once more. I told everyone I had gotten the position, but it turns out that they have to open it again to ensure fair competition.

Here we go again...


4 comments:

Diane said...

Hey! Your not a big liar.....I'd have done the same in your position!....i think you've been misled and now i feel disappointed and let down for you!The person who said that you had the position is the big liar! you were led to believe you would have confirmation in writing!

Don't be hard on yourself and DON'T call yourself a liar!And what nonsense about fair competition, i thought the job had been offered internally before and there were no takers? Does this vacancy exist?or are they plating favourites or something?

Do some more of the lovely pink thing to cheer yourself up!

BTW hows pooch now?

Jennifer said...

I don't consider you a liar. But I'm shaking my head in incredulity at this place of employment. How can they get away with promising and then not coming through but dragging it out even longer?

Pioggia said...

Thank you, I do know it's not me lying and that it's all an HR blunder. The people in the department want me to have the position because they know me already. HR said originally that they posted the position and nobody applied, but I know the position was never opened: I've been checking since June. Well, the department insisted that I be hired, but HR cannot do it without opening the position, this time for real. I wonder if I actually want to work for a place like this.

VaxGirl said...

The whole situation sucks, but these sucky things happen. Doesn't make you a liar at all. I know how frustrating this is, I hope it doesn't make you too crazy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...