Friday, April 03, 2009

Plan B


After weeks of knitting and ripping one single argyle sock, I realized I was not going to meet the deadline if I did not switch to another pattern. But having mastered the grafted toe, I searched for a top down sock. I settled for one of Cat Bordhi's innovative patterns. I chose the "sky" architecture, which has the heel increases on top of the foot. Her pattern is called Bartholomew's Tantalizing socks, which has a very pretty linen stitch between the increases. I did not like the fold over cuff so I made a regular ribbed cuff.



Another change I made was to put the reinforced heel stitch on the back of the heel. I don't know why Cat likes to put it on the bottom of the heel for all her top down socks. It makes no sense to me.



These are my readings since the last post:
  • The Dark Elf Trilogy, by R.A. Salvatore (three books!)
  • Lyonesse, by Jack Vance
  • Eclipse, by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Green Pearl, by Jack Vance
  • Escape, by Carolyn Jessop


  • All of them Fantasy with the exception of the last book, about a woman who escaped a polygamist mormon cult. I find it hard to believe that such groups still exist.

    Finally, here is a picture of a plate inoculated with the bacteria Serratia marcescens. Whenever I look at that beautiful pink pigment I have the same idea.... Can you guess what I'm thinking?


    2 comments:

    sandra said...

    You haven't been posting but you've been busy reading!

    Socks so far look great, no matter make the heel sense or not!

    ABout bacteria - looks like blusher or pottery (at least first association to me)!

    Jennifer said...

    The socks are looking good, and I'm impressed with all the reading.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...